Sunlight picture

Sunlight picture
Some of our hostel girls gathering for a picture at sunset. "For God, who said, 'Let light shine out of darkness,' made His light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God's glory displayed in the face of Christ" (2 Corinthians 4:6).

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Cup Overflows

The Lord sent a little messenger to me today, to remind me of His promise. After class at the school, Meena, one of the hostel girls ran up to me and handed me a "gift." It was a piece of paper folded up and it read: "To Meena and Gracie Sister." I think it was supposed to say, "To Gracie Sister, from Meena." Inside was a beautiful note: "Gracie Sister, I love you." And then a bible verse, written in perfect English: "I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow" (Jeremiah 31:13).

How I needed to be reminded! The enemy had been hurling his fiery darts at me all day. Discouragement. Despair. Weakness. Exhaustion. Impatience. Doubt.

The Lord lifted up my face to His, so that I could see that things are not as they appear to be always. It may seem like we are so finished ... but His strength comes. I can testify to say that the strength of the Lord comes! His word says, "I will go before you and will level the mountains."

It wasn't until I threw myself at the feet of my Shepherd, letting go of everything I had so tightly clung to, that He willingly poured Himself, His joy, into my heart.

Tonight joy overflowed in rivers at the hostel. There were only 46 girls because many left to see their parents. There is a Hindu festival going on now in Tamil Nadu. (When is there not a Hindu festival??) That part was not joyful. I can only pray that those precious children will refuse to bow to the idols at the temple. I pray their hearts will, deep inside, understand the idols are utterly worthless, neither seeing or speaking. Manju, Kaviya, Mageswari, Vijithra and Rahini gone. Our little room feels quite empty without them.

But there was joy with the few who remained. Running, playing, tickling, laughing, singing, dancing. The girls begged for me to sing the "Papaya song," a bible camp song I grew up with. They love it, and it's perfect for India because it talks about all the fruits they are familiar with. "I like bananas, I know the mangoes are sweet. I like papayas! PAPAYAS! But nothing can beat, the sweet love of God ... da-doo-da-dee-wop, da-doo-da-dee-wop-do-wop ..." The girls also love: "I've got peace like a river ... joy like a fountain ... love like an ocean ... in my soul ..." As we sang, all of those wonderful things, peace, joy, love were reality for us.

Selvi and Ragiswari, two of the remaining girls from my room, were so adorably cute. They were giggling hysterically. Their laughter was infectious and we all joined in. They thought it was a great joke to arrange their pillows under the blankets, so it looked like their little bodies were there, fast asleep, when really they were hiding behind the door. My words are not enough to describe the joy, the laughter, the wonderful sense of happiness being together as a family.

There's a lovely lady at the hostel who I must write about. Her name is Antony and her daughters, Veeralakshmi and Malathy are two of our girls. Antony works in the kitchen as a cook, preparing all the meals for the children. The fires through which she has walked are unimaginable. Day after day her drunken husband beat her and the children. Then he left her to marry another woman. She was in so much despair she gave poison to her daughters, intending afterwards to kill herself also. By the grace of God, though the children drank the poison, they did not die. Sometime afterward, Antony found the Lord Jesus and was brought to the Children's Home. The Lord literally reached down from on high, took hold of them and drew them out of deep waters (Psalm 18:16). He provided a job for Antony, where she can work with her own hands and help support her children. By His own hand He has given her and her daughters food, rest, shelter, protection.

Last night Antony was dancing up and down the verandah, the ends of her lovely blue sari fluttering behind her. She was singing too, her face aglow with gladness. We were all watching her, laughing with joy. Mary Amma said to me: "She is happy. Before all the time husband beat. Now ... free." I've never seen someone with so much joy. Antony ... only one year saved, has more joy than the lifetime supply of many.

The enemy is cast aside but not gone completely. In India women have little power. Antony wishes to divorce her husband but cannot, for he threatens to kill her if she does. And Mary said he would do it. But God will protect them.  

"He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the Lord was my support. He brought me into a spacious place; He rescued me because He delighted in me" (Psalm 18:17-19).

The joy of the Lord is our strength.

That is all for now. Tomorrow we are going to Dohnavur, the place where Amy Carmichael established her ministry, which continues to this day. I am so excited for this! Appa is also taking us to Kanniyakumari, a place on the ocean. I've never seen the ocean before ... I can hardly wait!!

2 comments:

  1. Gracie,

    I love reading these posts - I know I've said it before, but they are so encouraging! It sounds like God is really showing Himself to you in totally new ways...that's so great to hear. You are always in my prayers and I can't wait to hear more!
    Josh and I are doing well and keeping busy. We're less than 3 weeks from our trip, and I'm getting pretty antsy and excited! We'll have to take an entire day to compare trips and pictures when we're all back in Canada!

    Love you,
    DanaƩ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear Gracie, shivers ran all over my skin when I read this. It is so inspiring to hear Antony's story of so much hardness and now so much overflowing joy. God is so good, so wonderful, so beyond words.

    "Save us, O God our Savior; gather us and deliver us from the nations, that we may give thanks to your holy name, that we may glory in your praise." - 1 Chronicles 16:35

    I continue to pray for you and your great big Indian family. Miss you and love you Gracison!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete